In this episode, Steve talks with Tom and Jeff Berg of Integrated Inc. Wealth Advisors about how to lead a successful staff, using education to help motivate, and why teaching is an essential part of being a leader.
Tom and Jeff Berg are the father and son team that run Integrated Inc. Wealth Advisors. Jeff started as an advisor in 1965, and he’s spent the last 17 years transitioning the business to Tom.
Both Jeff and Tom have learned a lot throughout their careers about how to lead clients well, and how to keep them focused on their goals, even when they push back on advice. With more than 55 years of experience, they share a powerful perspective that can help all advisors with their client relationships.
”Whether it’s leading your staff, or leading your client, teach them thoroughly…and then motivate them. If you can’t teach and you can’t motivate, how can you be a leader?” ~ Jeff Berg
- You can’t do everything yourself. Consider getting a strategic coach to help you synthesize your best abilities, and hire out the aspects of your business that are a challenge for you.
- Teach your staff, as well as your clients, everything that they need to know about what you do and then motivate them. This is an essential element of building trust, which is at the heart of wealth management.
- A good advisor should be like a shepherd; guiding their clients through the most perilous of times and protecting them as they go.
- Think of your investment strategy as a flower garden. Look for ways to make sure that something is always blooming.
Links and Important Mentions
- Integrated Wealth Advisors
- Integrated Wealth Advisors on Facebook
- The Essential Wooden: A Lifetime of Lessons on Leaders and Leadership by John Wooden