In this episode, Steve talks with the Managing Partner at Collective Wealth Advisors LLC, Trey Nelson.
Trey has been a consistent contributor to the financial services industry for nearly 20 years, including a stint as the Vice President and Regional Director of Loring Ward (now Buckingham). His depth of knowledge afforded him the opportunity to offer his expertise in wealth management to world-renowned personalities and the top wealth managers in the country for more than a decade.
While he’s back to being a wealth advisor, he has stayed true to his core values: putting the clients first. He’s currently spearheading his family-owned firm that has a rapidly growing number of clients in six different states.
Trey talks with Steve about the power of simplicity in the client discovery process, the role of trust in building a strong team of experts, and how vulnerability can help grow your client base.
“The client needs help in understanding all the stuff in their life that needs to be planned for and provided solutions to—and it takes more than one person, it takes a team. Getting comfortable as an advisor, being vulnerable, bringing others that are equally smart into the equation—that’s what clients need today.” ~ Trey Nelson
- Stepping away from your tasks, even for a little while, can help you gain a better and clearer perspective about what you’re doing and why.
- A client-centered firm has to acknowledge simplicity in its discovery process. The three key elements involved in a strong discovery process include getting the clients to take action, avoiding complex portfolios, and implementing an adaptable process over time.
- The most successful advisors focus on getting better as leaders and communicating better with people, not just on upscaling technical expertise.
- There is power in vulnerability. It is easier to scale your firm and help your clients achieve success when you build trust, open up, and strive for sincerity.
- Insights and feedback from clients are invaluable. It’s the best metric for knowing what to improve and how your firm is truly making an impact.
Links and Important Mentions
- Trey Nelson on LinkedIn
- Collective Wealth Advisors
- Buckingham Strategic Partners
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Staying Accountable, Planning for Success and Making It Resonate with Peter Succoso
Subscribe and Stay in Touch
For 25 years Steve has helped advisors get into the RIA space and/or helped them grow by developing and sharing a variety of client experience best practices. Steve was an original architect of Buckingham’s Design | Build | Protect® client experience process along with the Life Discovery and Feedforward programs. Steve is also an author of The Wealth Solution and 27 Principles Every Investor Should Know. He is also the host of the Admired Advisor podcast. Steve is a graduate of the University of Nebraska at Omaha with a Bachelor’s in Finance and Investment Banking. Steve lives in Edwards, CO and enjoys spending time with his daughters skiing in the winter or golfing in the summer .